Essential Care Jr. Features & Benefits:
Low FODMAP Carbohydrates
What are FODMAP Sugars and Why do Many Children Need to Try and Avoid Them?
- Short-chain carbohydrates that are quickly fermented by bacteria in the intestines.₁
- Fermentation of these sugars produces gas which can cause bloating, abdominal pain, & discomfort in those with a sensitive gut or those with IBS.₁
Children with GI Aliments may benefit from Reducing Some or All of These:
Learn More about Low FODMAP Diet at https://www.monashfodmap.com/
Why Have We Chosen to Be Low FODMAP?
- Those who require amino acid formulas often have inflammation in the gut that can result in constipation, diarrhea, and/or abdominal pain.
- We chose to provide a Low FODMAP carbohydrate source that may help support digestive health
What is Wrong with the Prebiotic Fiber Found in Other Amino Acid Formulas?
2. Serra J, Azpiroz F, Malagelada J. Impaired transit and tolerance of intestinal gas in the irritable bowel syndrome. Gut. 2001;48:14‐19.
More Natural Ingredients Families Want
Satisfy Caregiver’s Preference
Free of Corn Syrup Solids
No Artificial Sweeteners
- Due to recent studies on the negative effects of artificial sweeteners on the gut microbiome, we have chosen to eliminate the use of them in Essential Care Jr. formulas.₁
- We have chosen monk fruit as our calorie free, low FODMAP sweetener in our flavored Essential Care Jr. Monk fruit provides a natural sweetness without contributing to the sugar content and unpleasant side effects that some sweeteners can cause.
AjiPure Amino Acids: Exceeds Industry Standards for Quality and Purity
- Gold Standard in Amino Acids
- All Natural
- Over a century of expertise in amino acids
- State-of-the-art fermentation process
- Kosher Certified
- Halal Certified
2. Bian X, Chi L, Gao B, et al. The artificial sweetener acesulfame potassium affects the gut microbiome and body weight gain in CD-1 mice. PLOS ONE. 2017;12(6):1-16.
Highest Level of Protein per Calorie in Amino Acid Formulas * at 4 g/100 Calories
Satisfy Needs for Growth and Development
Why is it Important to Provide Higher Amounts of Protein in an Amino Acid-Based Formula?
Essential Care Jr. Provides the Most Protein per Calories to Maximize Protein Utilization
With 16% of total calories from amino acid protein, approximately 11-12% may be utilized by the body. Other AA formulas provide 11-13% of total calories from protein, with potentially less utilization at approximately 8-10% (see table below).
Highest Level of Essential Amino Acids Per Calorie and Only Amino Acid-Based Formula with EAA-40L™, Containing 40% Leucine*
Enhance Muscle Protein Synthesis, Healing and Growth
EAA-40L™ with 40% Leucine for Building Muscle
EAA-40L™ is a blend of essential amino acids containing 40% leucine
- Leucine is the signaling amino acid for protein synthesis via mTOR pathway₁
- Leucine alone can help support muscle protein synthesis in smaller amounts than in naturally occurring food₂
How Much Leucine Do We Need?
- Essential Care Jr. provides 3 g of EAA-40L™ per 8 oz serving
- In a study, a single does of 3 g of 40% more leucine and other essential amino acids promoted muscle synthesis as well as 20 g of whey protein₃
2. Yoshii N, Sato K, et al. Effect of Mixed Meal and Leucine Intake on Plasma Amino Acid Concentrations in Young Men. Nutrients 2018;10:1-13.
3. Bukhari SSI, Phillips BE, et al. Intake of low-dose leucine-rich essential amino acids stimulates muscle anabolism equivalently to bolus whey protein in older women at rest and after exercise. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2015;308:1056-1065.
Easily Absorbed Fat Source
Contains 35% of Fat Calories from MCT
- Most lipid molecules use a complex digestion process; however, MCTs are easily absorbed into the bloodstream from the GI tract.₁
- Who can benefit?
- Pancreatic Insufficiency
- Small Bowel Resection
- Liver Failure
- Reduced Bile Salt Concentration
- Lymphatic Obstruction
- Infectious Diarrhea
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Why We Prefer Higher MCT In Our Formulation vs. Modular Supplementation
- Modular MCT oil given in excess quantities has been known to cause gastrointestinal distress, such as gas, abdominal pain, bloating, and diarrhea.₁
- We chose to increase the amount of MCT in our Essential Care Jr. to eliminate the extra step of modular MCT oil.
Lutein & DHA
Lutein (37.5 mcg/100 kcal) – Helps Support Both Brain and Eye Health and Development
DHA (14 mg/100 kcal) – An Important Fatty Acid in the Developing Brain
Why is Supplemental Lutein Important?
Lutein is an important carotenoid that has been found to be very beneficial to both brain and eye development. It is found naturally in breastmilk and fortified in some infant formulas due to its major role in early infant development.
Blausen.com staff (2014). “Medical gallery of Blausen Medical 2014”. WikiJournal of Medicine 1 (2). DOI:10.15347/wjm/2014.010. ISSN 2002-4436.
Due to the rising increase in the use of blue-light emitting devices, it is important that we work to protect children’s eyes. Lutein, along with zeaxanthin and meso-zeaxanthin make up the macular pigment of the eye. The macular pigment optical density (MPOD) is responsible for protecting the eyes against oxidative and light damage.₁
It is important that we encourage lutein in the diet based on research supporting the strong influence of dietary lutein on brain lutein levels.₁
Research has shown that lutein plays a part in cognitive status through the life stages.₁ One study looked at the area of the brain that was important to memory and learning and found lutein to be the major carotenoid in this area.₂
Are Children Consuming Enough Lutein in Their Diets?
Children should be able to take in adequate lutein in their diets with the introduction of foods; however, results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) showed that per 1000 calorie basis, intake of lutein for all age groups under 18 years of age was far below older age groups. Specifically, intake of lutein in the 1-3 yr old age group was the lowest reported at 21 mcg/day.₁
2. Vishwanathan R, Kuchan, MJ, et al. Lutein and Preterm Infants With Decreased Concentrations of Brain Carotenoids. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2014;59:659–665.
3. Arunkumar R, Calvo CM, et al. What do we know about the macular pigment in AMD: the past, the present, and the future. Eye (Lond) 2018;32:992-1004.
4. Kuratko CN, Barrett EC, et al. The Relationship of Docosahexaenoic (DHA) with Learning and Behavior in Healthy Children: A Review. Nutrients 2013;5:2777-2810.
5. Lauritzen L, Brambilla P, et al. DHA Effects in Brain Development and Function. Nutrients 2016;8,6:1-17.
Bone Health Blend and Low Potential Renal Net Acid Load (PRAL)
Support and Protect Bone Health
The Only Formula with Vitamin K2*
*Compared to other amino acid-based formulas indicated for severe protein allergy and GI disorders.
- Vitamin K2 is a significant inducer of bone mineralization in human osteoblasts.₁
- Multiple human studies have found vitamin K2 effective in the treatment of osteoporosis.
- Additionally, patients receiving vitamin K2 experienced significantly decreased incidence of fractures.₁
Why is a Negative Potential Renal Acid Load (PRAL) Beneficial Bone Health?
What is PRAL? PRAL is the net acid in the blood that must be buffered by kidneys, lungs and bone to maintain normal pH homeostasis.
(+) PRAL requires buffering (–) PRAL does not require buffering
Medical Formulas with Positive PRAL, Have Higher Renal Net Acid Loads, Which May Promote Bone Loss₂
Essential Care Jr. has the Lowest PRAL vs Other AA Formulas
Amino acid levels obtained from Metabolic Pro, a web-based nutrient analysis software published by GMDI (Genetic Metabolic Dieticians International), January, 2020.
2. Stroup BM, Sawin EA, et al. Amino Acid Medical Foods Provide a High Dietary Acid Load and Increase Urinary Excretion of Renal Net Acid, Calcium, and Magnesium Compared with Glycomacropeptide Medical Foods in Phenylketonuria. Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism 2017;1-12.
When Allergies Continue Beyond Infancy
Though the majority of infants with a cow’s milk allergy will outgrow the sensitivity by his or her first birthday, it is common to remain intolerant to the protein well beyond 1 year of age. Using an amino acid formula can ensure your child receives all of the nutrients that he or she needs without being exposed to potential allergens.
An Amino Acid Formula that is More Gentle on the Digestive System
Finding that perfect formula that soothes your child’s digestive condition can be a long and difficult process. While some illnesses can be addressed through common allergen-free products, others require a milder touch. Because our products are delicately formulated to be gentle on the system while providing complete nutrition, Essential Care Jr. and EquaCare Jr. can be counted on to help with an array of gastrointestinal conditions.
Find Out What Makes Our Formulas So Special
Finding healthy, wholesome nutrition for a child with severe allergies shouldn’t be hard. By offering products with broad nutritional value at affordable prices, we make it easier to provide for your child’s dietary needs without risking exposure to harmful allergens. Try one of our products today and see for yourself how they may improve your child’s quality of life.